Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Concentration and Retention

I recently read Burley-Allen’s Silence and found the section on Concentration and Retention interesting (1995, p.123-124).  I was especially attracted to the four items to keep in mind when talking about a subject and want your audience to retain it (p.124).  
1. When you are speaking and making only one point, people probably need to hear it only once.
2. If you make two or three point, listeners will more than likely need to have it repeated.  They won’t remember your point without repetition.
3. If you are making four to five points, you’ll need to repeat the information along with another sensory tool, such as having the listener write it down, summarizing what was said out loud, using pictures or graphs to reinforce what was said, or having the listener walk through what you are talking about.
4. Beyond six points, you’ll need to use two or more of the above sensory tools. (p.124)
As I think about these items, I feel as though they hold some truth.  I completely agree with Item one (one point: no need to repeat).  I get annoyed when someone talks about something simple, then rephrases several times.  That’s when I tend to tune out.  Items three and four also hold true for me.  If I am learning about a complicated process, I like to hear it, then see it, then do it.

Do these points resonate with you as well?  Do you have an anecdote that proves or disproves the four items?

Cited

Burley-Allen, M. (1995). Listening: The forgotten skill - A self-teaching guide (2nd ed., pp. 5-6, 14, 35). New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons.

No comments:

Post a Comment