Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Restless Listeners

Don Frick wrote in Greenleaf & Servant Leader Listening that,
Restless listeners may be responding to a fact of physiology.  Experts tell us that most people speak at the rate of up to 150 words per minute, but we think at a rate of 600 to 800 words per minute.  This creates a “listening gap” that we fill by thinking about what we will say next, planning the evening’s dinner, or remembering last year’s vacation” (p.8). 
I feel as though I fall into the restless listener profile (especially since I moved to the South!). Listening to a slow speaker…or one that struggles to find the words…is like pulling teeth to me.  I’m usually good for about a minute before I begin drifting off and thinking about a million other things that I would rather be doing or worse, try to finish their sentence.  I also read that people also struggle with comprehending fast speakers (sorry, but if I have a lot to say about a boring topic…I’d like to get it out so we can move on to something better...:) ).  How does one get past this?  Ask them to repeat themselves so that I can work on my patience? Ha ha.    

How I feel about this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktYwuw9Mnjo

Cited

Frick, D.M. (2011). Greenleaf and servant-leader listening. (p.3). Westfield, IN: The Greenleaf Center for Servant Leadership.

No comments:

Post a Comment